Skip to main content

#IdolPremiere

Today was American Idol's season premiere. I used to watch Idol when I was in the US and I used to like the show. It has changed a lot since then. Here is the wordcloud. I removed the words "AmericanIdol" and "season" from the wordcloud because they were just hogging all the space.

There is a change in the algorithm today onward. I have decided to remove retweets as they don't add to the original sentiment. It is debatable whether this is a good decision and I agree that it might be incorrect as retweets show the sentiment of the people even when they didn't originally write it. Let's see how this goes.

I downloaded more than 28K tweets but only around 11K were original and rest 17K were retweets.
JLo rules the show of course. She appears along with the words "love" and "like", which is great for her and the show. In comparison other judges, Harry Connick Jr. and Keith Urban don't show up that many times. Harry Connick returned to the show as a judge for the final season.

Kanye showed up as a contestant. This was staged, of course. Here is his performance if you are interested. That's the reason his name pops up in the wordcloud.



(I have no clue what the word "eduubdedubu" is. I need to figure that out.)

The sentiment was more neutral than positive or negative. This might be because of multiple reasons. But overall, only about 10-11% tweets were negative, which is good news for Idol. The show has been going down in popularity since Simon Cowell left it in  2010. You can read up more about the ratings of the show over 13 seasons here.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#GOPDebate

Sorry for the break over the last few days. I was in Shanghai and all Google services are blocked there including Blogger.com. Also, Twitter is blocked so I couldn't get any tweets to analyze. Now that I am back in Singapore, here is the wordcloud for today. Trump is at the center of the GOP debate! He is killing it (on Twitter at least). Interestingly Ted Cruz and Rubio are now showing up. Fiorina and Carson get a few mentions. But look at Jeb Bush! Can you even spot him here? The sentiment is as expected. Clearly way more positive than negative.

#SanBernadino

Update: Check the companion wordcloud for this here Even as I write this, the events are still unfolding in San Bernardino. Two or possibly three gunmen killed 14 innocent people. You can read up more here: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/03/us/san-bernardino-shooting.html or here: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-san-bernardino-shooting-live-updates-htmlstory.html Anyway, the most trending hashtag is misspelt! It's worth noticing that at this point NRA was quite common. This is because up to this point people were blaming NRA for the tragedy. This has changed since I downloaded the tweets, however! The sentiment for the hashtag is surprisingly neutral. I say surprisingly because now the hastag has become very toxic as the shooters are identified as Muslims. Suddenly there are so many xenophobic comments that I am sure the sentiment would be quite negative now.

#The Bachelor

I had watched a few episodes of The Bachelor over the years. By few I mean 2-3. So I know what the show is all about. Today the hashtag #The Bachelor was trending and I decided to use it for the wordcloud. Right off the bat there were a few things I didn't quite get because I don't watch the show. What is Lace and Ben? Or, rather who are they? Well, you can read up more about them here:  http://www.inquisitr.com/2681778/get-to-know-lace-morris-of-the-bachelor-2016-with-ben-higgins/  According to this article, Lace Morris is the girl everyone on the show is gonna hate from now on. I didn't find anything strange about her though and she comes across as a regular The Bachelor contestant. Take a look: Anyway, here is the wordcloud and the sentiment graph. The sentiment is not as positive as I expected but anyway.